14 December 2011

smudges of emotion



As a dancer myself, for me Edgar Degas' ballet dancers are the epitome of beauty. I love the soft, textured finish of his work, the exaggerated shadows, strong lines and unexpected colours that all add to the interest and depth of his art. Very few other artists are able to create such a profound effect with their work; Degas not only capturing the beautiful shapes and movements of the dancers, but also the mood- extremely important in art. 

I don't normally like to share my own art work, but I thought I'd just post two of my own interpretations of Degas' work- the first drawn recently, and the latter back when I was just 12. I love working with pastels and charcoal; tones and shadows can be captured so perfectly and when smudged they hold so much expression within their texture.

Love Ella.



Artwork and images © Ella Dixon-Nuttall (original work by Edgar Degas)

2 comments:

  1. Like your blog design and your lovely posts. Follow my GIVEAWAY about posting your blog on my site on

    www.moldiva.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Nice blog. We love it.

    We'd like to invite you as our 1st group of fashionista to join WhatIWear in a conquest to inspire the world,changing one wardrobe at a time.

    Click HERE to become a member - www.whatiwear.com
    Or check our blog at blog.whatiwear.com

    --
    Here are some members who have already joined us.
    Anastasia Siantar - brownplatform.com
    Andree Judd - avantgardien.tumblr.com
    Willabell Ong - paledivision.blogspot.com
    Marie Hamm - themavenpost.blogpost.com
    Paris & London - themadtwins.blogspot.com
    Alyssa Lau - theordinarypeoples.blogspot.com
    Nadine Drexler - whengreengrasswasyellowonpictures.com
    White Lace - whitelace.ro
    Becka Häggblom - sunshineinnorth.blogspot.com
    Michalina Z - stook-pook.blogspot.com
    Jessica C - westmountfashionista.com
    Claradevi Handriatmadja - luce-dale.com

    ReplyDelete